Longarm quilting services - Edge to Edge and Custom - for quilters in Manteca, Stockton, Modesto, Lodi, Tracy, Riverbank, and Oakdale, CA
Janet's Longarm Quilting Services
Tips for Improving the Quality of Longarm Quilt Stitching
My focus is to provide you with the best possible stitching for your treasured quilts.
My service goals are Fast … Affordable … High Quality!
Below are suggestions of what should be done when preparing a quilt for longarm stitching. Following these guidelines will provide for the the best possible outcome. These are gathered from long time quilters, longarm stitchers and quilt teachers.
And, from happy quilters!
• The top should be pressed well, with all seams flat, and placed on padded hangers
(you can use bedspread hangers from the cleaners for the top and back).
• Indicate the top of the quilt (and top of the backing) with a safety pin.
• The quilt top must lay flat. Measure your quilt top across the top, bottom, and at the center.
These three measurements should be the same. If they are not the same there is a
possibility that there will be puckers in the finished quilt.
• Clip all the threads front and back on your quilt top. Stray threads will show through lighter
fabrics and they can cause snags and uneven stitching.
• If you plan to use appliqués, it is better to stitch the quilt prior to attaching the appliqués.
• Backing fabric must be a minimum of 4" larger on all sides than the quilt top (total of 8 " top
and bottom but no more than 12”).
• Backing needs to be cut square, pressed well with all selvages removed and folded neatly.
• If your backing is pieced, seams need to be pressed open with salvage edges removed.
• Bolt folds should be pressed out.
• Determine how your quilt will be used. The batting choice can make a difference and a good
quality batting is very important to how your quilt will look.
• I provide top grade batting - call me at 209-676-0812 to discuss the details. Should you want
to use your own batting, it must be a minimum of 4" larger on all sides than the quilt top (total
of 8 " top and bottom but no more than 12” larger).
When choosing the quilting pattern for your quilt it is important to be very specific as to what you want and what the quilt will be used for - show or family, etc. If you say you want it quilted edge-to-edge you will get a beautiful designed stitched quilt.
If you want something truly amazing and beautiful, I can do a custom job selecting from my more than 2,000 computer patterns and hundreds of thread colors.
This is more important with custom quilts for show than it is for pantographs for heavy use, but it may affect how you feel about the quilting. I want to provide you with the best possible stitching to enhance the quality of all of your hard work preparing your quilts.
Edge-to-edge and custom longarm stitching in done on my state-of-the-art computerized Gammill Statler Stitcher.
I also can provide you with additional services such as piecing the backing, ironing the top or backing or assembling the binding. Be sure to discuss your needs with me.
I work to return all projects in a timely manner. If you have special rush needs I will work with you to meet your time frame. Rush orders are subject to an additional charge.
Call me at 209-676-0812 …
to schedule longarm stitching for your quilts. Or, if you have any questions, I'm happy to assist you in getting everything prepared, and going over any of the details or if you need further information.
I look forward to working with you! Janet
(c) 2017 Janet's Longarm Quilting Services